Monday, March 21, 2011

Doggy Dining: Philz Coffee

If you coffee lovers are ever in the Bay Area, you MUST go to Philz Coffee. They make coffee by the cup and have over 20 beans on the menu. Their pastries are from local bakeries and the quality FAR FAR exceeds that at Starbucks and PEETs. The only issue I have with them is that there is no line when ordering your coffee. Therefore you just stand in the crowd until a barrista is ready to take an order and hope that you aren't cutting in line or being cut in line. Or non-line. Whatever. Even so, I love their coffee too much to let it deter me. As you can tell, I love me some good coffee.


The store in Berkeley is dog friendly. While I was waiting outside with Barksdale for the bf to order our coffee, the barista came outside to tell us that we are more than welcome to bring dogs inside and brought a little treat for Barksdale as well.

Good Coffee + Dog Friendly? That is why they are number one.

This leads me to my random rant of the day. San Francisco can generally be characterized as a "food city." And the cost of living is really high here. Therefore, nobody really bats an eye at $2.75 cup of coffee. However, I draw the line at paying $2.75 for ridiculousness. You know who sells ridiculousness at $2.75 a pop?

Blue Bottle Coffee.

Therefore, I am officially boycotting all Blue Bottle cafes. For $2.75, here is what I expect:

1. Service
Yes, Blue Bottle, you make coffee by the cup, which might explain the long wait time. However, you should really be tending to my coffee then as opposed to exchanging "witty" quips with your co-worker while I wait.

2. Half and Half/Milk/Cream Options
You only have half and half out. Are you trying to tell me something? That coffee connoisseurs drink their coffee only with half and half? Well guess what, if I am paying you $2.75, I want some damn milk to put in my coffee.

3. Beans
I wanted to buy some beans. I asked if you can grind it for me. You said you guys don't sell beans ground. WTF.

I hate you blue bottle.

No comments: