Thursday, December 9, 2010

Doctor, Doctor!

In writing the title of the post, I realized I have many doctor or doctor to be friends that treat humans, but no vet friends! What a travesty. I need to add that to my future friend list.

During these past two days we have discovered that Barksdale has come down with ticks. *Shudder* Well, I'm actually more "oh, eh" and the bf is the *shudder**shudder*head in palm of hands*shudder**shudder.* I actually find things such as ladybugs and butterflies way more terrifying.

Anyway, I have spent the past two nights pulling ticks off Barksdale. Last night, I found a tick on Ender so I ended up pulling that sucker off too. So before two days ago, I've never encountered a tick in my life. Which meant it took me a while to figure out that black spot on Barksdale's underside was NOT crusty dirt but a bug. It also meant that the bf and I spent some time on google trying to figure out what to do which translates to deciding whether or not we wanted to pay the vet $50 to remove them or if we should just remove them ourselves. (This would have been a situation where a vet friend would come in handy.)

So far our plan of attack is to watch the dogs more carefully over the next week to ensure there aren't any secondary tick after effects. We have both the dogs on Revolution so I don't know what what is up with this recent tick development.

And to make up for the fact that I mostly mention Barksdale only when something bad happens, here is a photo of her looking cute.

3 comments:

Two Pitties in the City said...

I hope the medicine is enough to prevent anything bad. This reminds me of my camp days when our counselors made us do tick checks in eachothers hair each night before we went to sleep.

Anonymous said...

I live in Texas and 2 years ago, my Blue Boy was bitten by a tick that gave him ehrlichia. It has been quite trying as my vet told me there was no cure, you just treat it as it shows back up. He had another bout almost one year to the day.

I just hate those nasty ticks. I give my dogs Sentinel and Frontline Plus.

Susie

Mel said...

This is the first time discovering ticks so we weren't sure how worried we were supposed to be. I'm hoping their medicine works their magic.